<<新主題 | 舊主題>>
娛樂滿紛 26FUN » 廣告專區 » Father of Internet: We Don’t Need Arbitrary New TLDs
返回列表 回復 發帖

Father of Internet: We Don’t Need Arbitrary New TLDs

本帖最後由 IISP 於 2012-4-20 02:24 PM 編輯

Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the web, father of internet, is “not a fan” of the arbitrary new top level domains (TLDs) that the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) is currently offering, he clarified in a press conference at W3C.

He was referring to Icann’s application window for brands to bid for the domain name suffix of their choosing from dot brand (for example .pepsi or .HTC) or dot product (.drinks or .horses), which closes on Friday 20 April.

My personal perspective is that what we need in the domain system is stability,” he said. “We don’t need new arbitrary new TLDs.”

He argued that some people assume that the new generic TLDs are creating great economic benefit but that there are already plenty of TLDs — including dot org, dot com and dot net — to choose from. “There’s plenty of space,” he said. “If you just add one character to the length of the domain name you have 26 times as many names you can choose from. There’s no shortage.”

For Berners-Lee, the “only role” for a new domain name is “if you are making something that is socially different, such as dot org.” He said that .ORG domain name was interesting because it captures the fact that you know that any website with that suffix is a non-profit.

“But when it comes to arbitrary new TLDs I am not a big fan.” He said that the “idea of having to go out and register my trademarks” in these new spaces does not appeal to him.

IISP.HK Team
ICANN CNNIC Accredited Registrar
.CN Domain Registration $4.85 + FREE Trustee Service

返回列表 回復 發帖
<<新主題 | 舊主題>>
娛樂滿紛 26FUN » 廣告專區 » Father of Internet: We Don’t Need Arbitrary New TLDs

重要聲明:26fun.com為一個討論區服務網站。本網站是以即時上載留言的方式運作,26fun.com對所有留言的真實性、完整性及立場等,不負任何法律責任。而一切留言之言論只代表留言者個人意見,並非本網站之立場,用戶不應信賴內容,並應自行判斷內容之真實性。於有關情形下,用戶應尋求專業意見(如涉及醫療、法律或投資等問題)。 由於本討論區受到「即時上載留言」運作方式所規限,故不能完全監察所有留言,若讀者發現有留言出現問題,請聯絡我們。26fun.com有權刪除任何留言及拒絕任何人士上載留言,同時亦有不刪除留言的權利。切勿撰寫粗言穢語、誹謗、渲染色情暴力或人身攻擊的言論,敬請自律。本網站保留一切法律權利。